Monday, June 22, 2009

Optimum Knowledge ( I am not my hair) Part 2


On the train yesterday I saw the most beautiful women. She wasn't quite dressed in something I would wear but, somehow it added to her beauty. She was a very chocolate sista with dark brown almost black eyes! She also had the most amazing afro I ever seen. It was huge!! Her hair was jet black and her afro was on her shoulders!! I was in amazement. She was sporting this beautiful brown and yellow maxi dress with gold sandals.She had a brass statement necklace with a brass cuff bracelet on her arm. She looked very earthy and she was amazing!!! So of course I complemented her and told her how stunning she was. ( any other self inspired beauty would have done the same, because we are not threatened by other womens beauty) She graciously thanked me and we went on talking about how long she had been growing her hair and the fact that she made her own dress!! Once she got off the train, the African American man next to me said, and I quote " Why did you lie to that girl? You and I both know she could have used a perm!" I had to stop, regroup, and get myself together because I didn't want to be rude. That same man and two other ladies sitting next to me then proceeded to tell me how beautiful I was because I have a perm and my skin was lighter then hers. WHAT!?!?! You can safely assume that I was outraged! Let me assure you that this womens afro would outshine my little permed hair any day! The question is, why would this man and two ladies feel that I was more beautiful because of my perm and brown skin? What where their standards of beauty? Why do people of color deal with the white slandered of beauty that has become main stream for all other cultures? I find it interesting that when I walk into my local beauty supply store I find products that are meant to bleach your skin. Products such as Fair and White and Light Bright. The other day I was watching my favorite Asian women on youtube do a video about how she brought all of these products to lighten her skin! Correct me if I'm wrong but, aren't Asian people already pretty darn light?! How women of color define their beauty has been based on white culture.We all know this by now. The question is how do we stop it? How can I get Asian women to love their eyes and their skin. How do I get black women to love their skin and their hair? And how do I get Indian women to love their skin and dark brown eyes? I don't have all the answers however, I am certain of one thing. The best route in defining and embracing the beauty God gave you is simply this.......always be on a constant look out for your self inspired beauty!

0 comments: